When you think about how you can best use keywords on Twitter for social media and hash tags, what you really need to think about is the audience you are appealing to. You also have to know the difference between trends, keywords, and the use of hash tags. ~Lisa Caprelli
1. Know what a hash tag is. The “#” sign before a word is a way of tagging the word for followers of a specific trend or to notify members of a group that there is a specific post for them to respond to. This is a common networking tool and may or may not be made up of keywords with a high rate of searches.
2. Post to multiple sites at once. Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter can be linked together so that one post automatically goes to the other site so that when you use the “#” sign in front of a word on Facebook, it’s automatically tagged on Twitter.
3. Become an authority. Google algorithms are set up to recognize valuable content. This means that if you use consistently related tags and they lead to valuable content, Google will use their algorithms to eventually recognize you as an authority in an area. Likewise, if you randomly use a hash tag on unrelated materials, you will be identified as someone who is not an authority.
4. Don’t limit use of tags. Put related tags on all your material so anytime it is shared on Twitter it will already be tagged.
5. Don’t just use Twitter for social media & hash tags. Engage your audience with real conversations so they don’t see you as a spammer. More than that, they will begin to personalize your posts and direct more followers your way.